Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Basing With Dirt







Instead of carefully making fake soil, and then priming it black and painting it. Why not just use the right colored dirt. That cuts out the middle man and gets these dwarves closer to completion. I like it. Just in case the owner of this army ever need to base any more models, I'll include a packet of dirt in the box. This soil is from a dirt path that crosses Pennsylvania Ave in Washington D.C. The super glue purifies it. At least that is what I'm telling myself.

5 comments:

  1. Cool! how did you get it to keep it's dry look and color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could just bake it in the oven to kill any gribblies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, looks better than painted dirt. I have been using natural gravel for years, mostly because I am lazy and don't like basing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done! Using 'real' dirt and rocks can be tricky as the scale and coloration can seem off compared to the models (generally too large). The soil you've used is fine-grained and varied enough however that it works really well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My usual basing is sand and detritus from a horse show over a decade ago. My hope is that dry brushing it from dark to light makes it look a bit like rubble.

    ReplyDelete