Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sons of Horus Army Shot














Any army shot of the force was requested, and I am happy to comply. There are a lot of unfinished models in here. Paint chipping, grime streaks, and dust have not been added to all of the units yet. The Storm Eagle and the Drop Pod will look quite different once I apply those techniques.

Fourteen ravager bodies arrived in the mail yesterday, so now get to decide if they are going to be built as ravagers, or as a large tac squad. My goal was to build this up to a playable force, then add the Emperor's Children(purple) and Imperial Army units (mint cream color of ramps and interiors of vehicles). I am eager to paint up some more EC's so the original color balance is reached, but that would push a playable force back considerably.

9 comments:

  1. I love the weathering job on that Rhino! Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The rhino is my favorite right now. I am deciding where to go with weathering overall, and one of the considerations is making sure the rhino does not look out of place.

      Delete
  2. Why is one dread purple, besides the obvious that purple is cool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think Muskie. Purple is cool! The allied force is going to be an Emperor's Children detachment. Fulgrim is somewhere in the photo as well.

      Delete
  3. Simply gorgeous work, man! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I posted the shots due to a request from Moridan7th. I am glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bases are pretty simple.

    Mix up a batch of hydrocal (or plaster) to create a thinnish block
    break chunks off of the block and glue them to the bases. Prime Black, and shade with an air brush using dark grey. I follow that with edge highlighting using fortress grey(light grey). Wash with Secret Weapon concrete wash, and when dry wash with a mix of green earth weathering powders. It may sound like a lot of steps, but they are not very demanding, and can be done easily in batch mode.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I have finally seen someone who can modulate Warhammer paintjobs properly,now I can finally start practicing myself.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you. I haven't even weathered the pod and the storm eagle in these shots. That brings the modulation down. BTW I am a big fan of your work. I lurk over on the first expedition blog following your epic painting progress.

      Delete