Thursday, July 18, 2013

Warhound Oil Wash


I've been experimenting with oil washes for a couple of weeks, and even planned my titan painting around them. I think these shots speak for themselves. It took almost no effort to slop the oil wash on along the gold trim. After that all I had to do was take a brush slightly dampened with white spirit to clean off and blend the washes in. The oils almost disappear under the barely dampened brush.

Painting like this feels like I am leveraging magic. Huge plug for AK Interactive products. They are the bees knees.  I can imagine painting miniatures using oil washes.

6 comments:

  1. Good lord that is insane! The oil washes are one thing but the airbrush work and the patterns are pretty impressive too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! If I finish it in time for the Springfield GW store painting competition this Saturday you can see it in person. (I have serious doubts about finishing it in time, but who knows!) I really want to see it walk in an apoc/40k game as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh! He's a witch! Awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tight! Oils are fantastic for all sorts of applications

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another oils fan! They are the future, not just the fact that a tube of burnt umber oil paint costs about the same as one pot of earthshade. but it will last a lifetime and looks a thousand times better!
    This looks amazing by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clean and crisp. I am however a bit worried that it is too crisp. The sharp lines in the patterns between areas is super but i think the large flat areas might be to consistent for such a large model. I could give it the appearance of a large "toy" rather then a large war machine that has seen many battles. In reality few colors are uniform over large areas. But I love your work, so keep it up.

    ReplyDelete