Sunday, August 15, 2010

Chaos & Kroot: Painting for Fun






Right in the middle of painting the Khorne Berzerkers up I decided to paint some Kroot. A while back I found a posting from a guy who had painted some amazing Death Korps of Krieg troops using primarily washes. Since have yet another order to DKK crack coming in, I thought I should overcome my fear of painting such expensive models. Naturally I picked Kroot as my inexpensive test figures. I love painting them. I could paint 50 of these in a day. They painted using mostly washes. The 4 I painted took around 20 minutes. I think the best part is that I can imagine getting a load of these painted up with just two coats of the washes, and then just saving the rest the details for later. This way a giant squad could be pumped out in a single afternoon.

The hardest part about painting these guys......having enough glued together to fill the painting queue.

8 comments:

  1. They look great ..... awesome job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kroot are my favorite models to paint. Love them. You've done a great job in a short time period. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way they look.

    I need to get after my Steel Legion and Vostroyans, planning on the same idea, get them base basecolored and washed or given a simple highlight, and save the bulk of the detailing and any freehand work for later so I can get them on the gaming table quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did you use to paint the Kroot up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you post the base colour you used for these. I planned to use rotting flesh and sepia wash,is this a good idea to get kroot like yours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about I do a step by step? The Kroot are base coated white with primer and then painted with sepia, mud, and black washes. I added a very slight blue wash to the tip of the feather things, and did purple/green washes on the gun strap feathers. The black areas I have been going over with bolt gun metal chips. I may add some grey to the process to make the chipping stand out. If I am feeling dextrous I might try to record the process. I don't want to forget the process either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That meat hooked on the first model looks good enough to toss on the BBQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey did you do the painting guide on these kroot? They look awesome

    ReplyDelete